Legal Stuff

This site is created through Blogger, so I am legally required to inform you this blog uses cookies. I'm not a techie, so I can't detail all the consequences, but you've been warned.

A Homeless Perspective on the Refugee Situation

Tuesday 15 March 2016
Yeah. I read the news a lot. I also have social media accounts that I utilise. I voted in the last federal election. And I personally support bringing in refugees. Of course, some people are opposed to this. Some of them are opposed because of bigotry (which is not okay). Some of them are concerned about the U.N. Screening process, or about the costs to the taxpayer (which are okay if these are your genuine concerns, and you're not using them to mask your bigotry).

But in letters to the newspaper editors, comments on blog posts and in social media, I'm seeing something disturbing: People trying to pit the homeless community against the refugees. I'm seeing people saying we shouldn't take the refugees in because we should focus on helping the homeless. I'm seeing them use us as homeless people as an excuse to oppose refugees.

Excuse my language but:

Who the fuck are you to speak for the homeless? And where the hell have you been for the past ten years, which have been among the most oppressive for the homeless population?

Seriously, I've read letters sent to homeless charities stating that decades-long donors will pull their funding unless the charity publicly opposes bringing in refugees (which, by the way, I'm pretty sure could be argued as to the partisanship of the charity), I've seen comments on blogs and online news sites, full of swearing, complaining about how we should be helping the homeless and not take in a single refugee.

We are not your tools to justify your hatred.

Now, the homeless community itself partially shares your sentiments. From those I've talked to, we're not all on the same page obviously. It's a contentious issue with diverse views. Two things I've learned though are that we mostly recognise when someone needs help, and that it's unethical to order people to help us in exclusion to others in need. And secondly, that this is an opportunity. If we're capable of helping refugees in need, then we have the resources to help the homeless too, and to deny the homeless their basic fundamental human rights is no longer going to be excusable.

And a third that I'm coming to realise is that we're aware that for the first time in ten years, the mass public is suddenly interested in helping us. And we're pretty upset that it took a crisis in Syria for that to happen, and we do want to know why so many people who talked down to us, mocked us, said we deserved our lots in life, perpetuated the systemic abuse and denial of our dignity, suddenly think they are our allies and speak for us.

And we are going to want answers.

I personally, once again, welcome all our refugees to Canada, and wish you nothing but safety and good will. But to those who oppose refugees coming in for any reason, please, do not use us as your excuse to justify your views, and let homeless people and their advocates and community speak for themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment